This header is a pastel painting I did in 2009 is of a place in the Netherlands, my country of origin, after a photo shot by Dick Witte.

Some of the painters who have influenced me:
Mondriaan, Hopper
O"Keefe, Weyeth
Singer Sargent
van Gogh, Rembrandt
Picasso, Escher

Since this is my second blog page, it generally takes me longer (sometimes very long) to reply to your comments, but I do read and love them!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

BEFORE FALL APPEARS


© Sunstruck, Oil, 24 x 32 inch, St. Germain

NOTES
Before Fall appears I lke to post this, because
it's hard to get the "feel" of a blazing desert sun burning on one's skin, plants are dried up, hardly any shade, or water to be found, when things are cooling down around you, and at dawn a veil of fog and clouds covers the landscape.


Because I know a little about drought, having lived in California for 20+ years, I started with this painting in April 2010 after the eruption of the volcano in Iceland. dealing with weather disasters. It belongs in the middle of a series of 13-15 paintings.
So this painting is not about a nice desert landscape,
it is such a serious drought, that people start digging for water.



~*~

17 comments:

forgetmenot said...

Striking painting. Many people in the midwest will identify with this. It has been a hot, dry summer--Fall, with cooler temps and blessed rain will be a treat. Mickie :)

zeder said...

A great painting...
Regards from Berlin,
Uwe-Jens

Betsy Grant said...

Wonderful painting...you have vividly conveyed the heat.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Fantastic painting, and the colors look amazing.

Leovi said...

Lovely painting, I like warm tones such as strong.

Al said...

I like the painting a lot, it definitely gives the feeling of oppressive heat and drought.

jordiegirl said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my greeting cards.

My profile reads: living in the wrong county - not country - that because I live in Worcestershire but am from Northumberland.

Eileen Mariane aka Marmsk said...

Very Van Gogh style, I like it very much.

JDS said...

Great painting. The colors do scream "heat," and I like the shadow of the mesa.

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree with Marmsk, the colors do communicate the feelings of heat, so hot that the worker drops his shovel though he desperately needs water. . .

Unknown said...

"Art Notes" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/11/sites-to-see_18.html

California Girl said...

what a wonderful painting and a departure from what I might recognize as your "style". Love this and it does indeed convey the hot sun on skin. I particularly like the blocks of color broken up by the angles.

Euroangel said...

your works are beautiful..love it!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Lovely! It reminds me a little of our own Uluru - the colours are similar to our Outback.

Reader Wil said...

Your paintings on this page are very imposing and your header is stunning. I can see that you are influenced by Mondriaan. Your header reminds me of an early work by him, in which the light of the sun is captured by treebranches in a wood.
Thanks for your visit and kind comment.

Mildred said...

Love this one! So beautiful!
Bravo!
Thanks for sharing;o)

***
Happy day****

estetik said...

I anticipate this is abundant blog his accouterment absolute adventure about account such is a abundant admonition blog!
estetik