This header is a pastel painting I did in 2009 is of a place in the Netherlands, my country of origin, after a photo shot by Dick Witte.

Some of the painters who have influenced me:
Mondriaan, Hopper
O"Keefe, Weyeth
Singer Sargent
van Gogh, Rembrandt
Picasso, Escher

Since this is my second blog page, it generally takes me longer (sometimes very long) to reply to your comments, but I do read and love them!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

SANDY BEACH


© Symbiotic Trees, 9 x 12 inch, Oil, St Germain



NOTES
late afternoon discovery of
-flowers on the river shore
- symbiotic spindly tree trunks
- late afternoon reflections in the water

At the last minute went to the art store in Yosemite Nat. Park to get a smaller canvas.
Perfect size for this little pretty scene in oil.
Except for the little spindly tree trunks. 
They would have come out more natural on a bigger size canvas. 



Considerable tweaking of background tree mass, 
as well as flower bush.
These colors look good in a pic, but not in a painting!
Started late afternoon on painting, so choose a purplish mood.
A lasting plein air impression of my vacation this year.


8 comments:

OceanoAzul.Sonhos said...

I'm delighted with your art, congratulations.
oa.s

John said...

For what it's worth, I think your painting is a very good evocation of what you saw and felt when you took your photograph. I like it very much.

Betsy Grant said...

Lovely painting. I like your "purplish mood".

Charlene N. K. said...

Wow, you have beautiful artworks! I love your nature themes. They're soothing.
I also love to paint but other responsibilities leave me no room to pursue this long-neglected hobby. But I want to do it again someday.

Laura said...

beautiful!!!

Beth Niquette said...

What an incredible painting this is. I can almost hear the water splashing.

Very inspirational.

Unknown said...

I like your interpretation. The photo is quite nice too. I love your header also.

BTW I stalk other nature scenes. lol

HansHB said...

WOW, - so many beautiful paintings to see here...