This header is a pastel painting I did in 2009 is of a place in the Netherlands, my country of origin, after a photo shot by Dick Witte.

Some of the painters who have influenced me:
Mondriaan, Hopper
O"Keefe, Weyeth
Singer Sargent
van Gogh, Rembrandt
Picasso, Escher

Since this is my second blog page, it generally takes me longer (sometimes very long) to reply to your comments, but I do read and love them!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

IRIS



 NOTES
Always loved the deep blue, leaning against purple of the iris.
Yet it seemed a difficult flower to paint. Vincent v. Gogh changed my mind. 
If I recall correctly, he has at least three paintings with irises in them. 

The blue-purple combined with green is not much see in paintings in general.
A good reason for an artist to dare commonality!
But how does one fill a square canvas with a mainly vertical shape? It looked kind of bare and stilted. Then I got an idea to put in the background 
as if it was wind moving the petals...and the rest is history. .





~*~

13 comments:

Cildemer said...

Beautiful painting! Very nice colours!
Thanks for sharing;o)

***
Have a nice and happy weekend****

zeder said...

What a nice flower...
Regards from Berlin, God bless you.
Uwe-Jens

Jeannette StG said...

Cildemer,
Thank you so much, Cildemer. Glad you like it:)

Zeder,
As you can see, I give my own interpretation about the personality of a flower. Blessings to you, Uwe!

NatureFootstep said...

such a beautiful painting of a lovely flower. :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful iris! Great job.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful work of art.

Eileen Mariane aka Marmsk said...

Stunning painting!

Malgorzata Ingstad said...

How wonderful!

Emery Roth said...

What a beautiful painting! I'm so glad you visited my blog so that I stopped here. Yes, as a photographer my eye is often grabbed by beauties that are very vertical or horizontal and that don't easily resolve into a rectangular or square composition. You solved the problem beautifully here. I also loved the gardenia picture and the rest of your blog. I will be back often, I hope.

Jeannette StG said...

Naturefootsstep,
Thank you -I expected the readers from Europe to like this flower because of its abstract forms:)

JM.
Thank you, JM! It took some figuring out with the design, but it was worth it!

Rajesh,
Thank you, Rajesh:) I actually do not know much about art in your country.

Marmsk,
Thank you so much -glad you like it!

Marias T,
Thank you, also for visiting!

Ted Roth,
You are welcome to come back whenever you like! Please, slso read my reply to Naturefootstep!

Lisa said...

Beautiful painting.

Lisa from guitar-lessons-motivating-desire

OceanoAzul.Sonhos said...

What a beautiful painting! I love this purple.

oa.s

Admin said...

what an amazing talent you have..well-done and good luck for 2012!

Ruby of See The World